[BiO BB] HPC implementation

Jennifer Steinbachs stein at fieldmuseum.org
Thu Aug 23 10:33:12 EDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, bioinfo wrote:

<snip>

 >	Indraneel, what primary applications are you planning to use with the
 >Beowulf?  I am in the process of setting up a HPC environment and have
 >looked at Linux clusters.  I would be interested in hearing your thoughts
 >about implementation and the applications you plan to use on it (if you can
 >talk about it, that is...)

I set a cluster up last year and my husband set up a bigger one at his
place of employment this past spring (and will likely set up a third next
year).  We've been toying with the idea of putting a FAQ up on my website
for the biologically inclined who want (or  think they want) a cluster.
The targetted audience is an academic setting - based on both of our
experiences.  The focus of the FAQ would be on all the planning questions
that one should be asking... e.g., once i buy the system, who will look
after it?  who will pay for upgrades?  where will the beast go?  etc.

I haven't put this into full gear yet... would this be as useful as I
think it would?

-jennifer

J. Steinbachs, Ph.D.
Computational Biologist