[BiO BB] open source ideas

Joel Dudley Joel.Dudley at DevelopOnline.com
Thu Aug 23 11:40:59 EDT 2001

Ok, I am pretty sure I know how I am going to do this program. I need to
tinker with the widget stuff so I can write it once and make it cross
platform. From my poll it seems like many of you use Debian on your desktop
(like me!) or some other flavor of Linux. It also seems that many of you are
forced to use windows for research. Once I do some testing with WxWindows
this weekend I should have an alpha version by the end of next week. At that
time I will submit the program to the list for review and will then move it
to bioinformatics.org for hosting. I am really excited about the support I
am getting from this list for new program ideas. Let's keep it up!

- Joel

P.S. With all of the cluster talk today maybe the next project can be a
modular clustering architecture with a slick GUI and management tools
wrapped around linux.

-----Original Message-----
From: bioinfo [mailto:bioinfo at biosystemsconsulting.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 5:07 AM
To: bio_bulletin_board at bioinformatics.org
Subject: RE: [BiO BB] open source ideas

	Thanks as well Joel.  I wasn't trying to push anyone to code it.  It
has
been in the back of my mind for  awhile and I haven't had the time (and it
has been a long time since I have done any "real" coding).  I look foreword
to seeing the application develop and grow to something more than we have
discussed already.

	Indraneel, what primary applications are you planning to use with
the
Beowulf?  I am in the process of setting up a HPC environment and have
looked at Linux clusters.  I would be interested in hearing your thoughts
about implementation and the applications you plan to use on it (if you can
talk about it, that is...)

Mark Burke