[BiO BB] open source ideas (Beowulf)

Michi Kami michikami at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 12:40:47 EDT 2001

In case anyone isn't aware of it and would be interested - John Koza from Stanford has a 1000-Pentium Beowulf cluster set up.  (As my 3-year old says, "that's a big puppy!")  He has a write-up, and links to it, at http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/july99/0591.html  His area is genetic algorithms (mine also, while bridging into bioinformatics), and the system runs Linux.
   -Mark
  bioinfo <bioinfo at biosystemsconsulting.com> wrote: Thanks as well Joel. I wasn't trying to push anyone to code it. It has
been in the back of my mind for awhile and I haven't had the time (and it
has been a long time since I have done any "real" coding). I look foreword
to seeing the application develop and grow to something more than we have
discussed already.

Indraneel, what primary applications are you planning to use with the
Beowulf? I am in the process of setting up a HPC environment and have
looked at Linux clusters. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts
about implementation and the applications you plan to use on it (if you can
talk about it, that is...)

Mark Burke