[BiO BB] Unix or Linux

T.D. Houfek tdhoufek at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 7 14:14:17 EST 2001

Hi Peri,

We've been using (Red Hat) Linux at our lab for the last two years...
currently we've got it on 6 Dell PowerEdge servers and on a Dell Inspiron
laptop.  It has served us well.  At one point someone from a neighboring
lab said they thought a Solaris box would work better for BLAST searches,
since the chipset is optimized for non-floating-point operations I guess,
but when we held a (not very rigorous) "race" our Dell/Linux machine
seemed to outperform their Solaris machine.

Hope this helps,
T.D.

T.D. Houfek

system administrator