[BiO BB] connectivity problems

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Sun Sep 30 16:14:59 EDT 2001

Greetings.

This message is for people using our primary server.

We noticed some access problems over the weekend, particularly disconnections
and access denials.  Some administrators worked from late Saturday night until
Sunday afternoon trying to hunt down the problem, which seemed to evade us.
The problem did not appear to be internal, as no programs were being
executed during outage times, and there were no signs of a break-in.

It turns out that someone else on the local network decided to "borrow"
our static IP address, and this is causing some "confusion" on the network.

We're going to work with the IT department on Monday to find the offenders,
and when we do, we will kill and eat them with ketchup and a side order of
fries.

Anyway, we apologize for the inconvenience.

  -- The Lab Rats