[BiO BB] Call for Papers/BIOKDD-CBGI'03

mllrdm at mail.rnu.tn mllrdm at mail.rnu.tn
Thu Aug 1 19:52:55 EDT 2002

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

                         BIOKDD-CBGI'03

           Biological Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining

                           Session of

         Atlantic Symposium on Computational Biology and
        Genome Information Systems & Technology (CBGI'03)
                  Cary, North Carolina, U.S.A.
                    September 26-30, 2003

  With the development of Molecular Biology during the last decades, we are
witnessing an exponential growth of both the volume and the complexity of
biological data. The Human Genome Project is providing the sequence of the
3 billion DNA bases that constitute the human genome. And, consequently, we
are provided too with the sequences of about 100,000 proteins. Therefore,
we are entering the post-genomic era : After having focused so much efforts
on the accumulation of data, we have now to focus as much efforts, and even
more, on the analysis of these data. This will enable us to learn more
about gene expression, protein interactions and other biological
mechanisms. Analyzing this huge volume of data is a challenging task
because, not only, of its complexity and its multiple numerous correlated
factors, but also, because of the continuous evolution of our understanding
of the biological mechanisms. Classical approaches of biological data
analysis are no longer efficient and produce only a very limited amount of
information, compared to the numerous and complex biological mechanisms
under study. Actually, these approaches use only a very limited number of
parameters, to represent the so-many correlated factors involved in the
biological mechanisms. From here comes the necessity to use computer tools
and develop new in silico high performance approaches, to support us in the
analysis of biological data. And, hence, to help us in our understanding of
the correlations that exist between, on one hand, structures and functional
patterns of biological sequences, i.e., DNA, RNA and proteins, and, on the
other hand, genetic and biochemical mechanisms. Knowledge Discovery and
Data mining (KDD) are a response to these new trends :

  Knowledge discovery is an emerging field where we combine techniques from
Algorithmics, Artificial Intelligence, Mathematics and Statistics to deal
with the theoretical and practical issues of extracting knowledge, i.e.,
new concepts or concept relationships, hidden in volumes of raw data.
Knowledge discovery offers the capacity to automate complex search and data
analysis tasks. We distinguish two types of knowledge discovery systems :
verification systems and discovery ones. Verification systems are limited
to verifying the users hypothesis, while, discovery ones autonomously
predict and explain new knowledge. Biological knowledge discovery process
should provide for the selection of the appropriate data mining approaches
by taking into account both the characteristics of the biological data and
the general requirements of knowledge discovery process.

  Data mining is one of the pre-processing steps in the knowledge discovery
process. It consists in extracting nuggets of information, i.e., pertinent
patterns, pattern correlations, estimations or rules, hidden in bodies of
data. The extracted information will be used in the verification of
hypothesis or the prediction and explanation of knowledge. Biological data
mining aims at extracting motifs, functional sites or
clustering/classification rules from biological sequences. Numerous
techniques suitable for data mining in Molecular Biology are available,
however, the selection of ad hoc ones is non-trivial.
In our session, we are interested in papers that deal with issues of
biological KDD.

INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
  You are invited to submit a hardcopy or a pdf version of a draft paper,
about 4 to 5 pages including figures and references, before May 1, 2003 to
the Session Chair:

Dr. Mourad Elloumi,
Mailing Address: Cite Intilak bloc 6, app. 7,
                 El Menzah 6,
                 2091 Tunis,
                 Tunisia.
Phone : +216 71 233 253