[BiO BB] Bioinformatics, Linux, and learning.

wstepnio at yahoo.com wstepnio at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 15:59:22 EDT 2002

Hello all members,

I am a recent graduate with a Masters degree in
Biology.  I have recently become very interested in
using computers (embedded and distributed uses of
Linux as a tool) to solve biological problems
involving the scientific application of food and
supplement nutrition for disease prevention, and
health and longevity promotion.

Considering I have never used Linux not any type of
Bioinformatics software, could you offer any
suggestion regarding what kind of computer console and
Linux I would need to get started. Also, I would like
to know what software you would recommend I start with
and which literature books I should obtain.

Since most of the positions in Bioinfotmatics I have
been applying for will not hire me because I lack
experience, I feel this would be the best way to get
some knowledge to offer to them!

Thank you!