[BiO BB] Biochemistry book reccomendation needed

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Wed Dec 18 16:36:24 EST 2002

Hi Ken.

I've used both Stryer and Garrett & Grisham.  They are comparable in size,
covering enough material for several semesters of biochemistry.  The latter is a
bit easier to read, while the former is a bit more detailed.

I think most biochemistry texts are overkill for those not choosing the field as
a profession.  One of my favorite texts, which is concise and nicely
illustrated, is The Cell: A Molecular Approach, by G.M. Cooper.  I would
recommend it for those who don't intend to be biochemists but would like to know
enough biochem and molecular biology to begin studying bioinformatics.

Cheers.
Jeff

J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff at bioinformatics.org
President, Bioinformatics.Org       http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
                   -- Benjamin Franklin