[BiO BB] Wolfram's Cellular Automata

Parthav Jailwala pajailwala at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 19 11:40:16 EST 2002

Hi James,
You are putting a great effort to program an automaton in perl. Keep it up.
However, in his book, Wolfram claims (doesnt prove) that many biological mechanisms (including human disease manifestations) can be explained using automatons. How far do you agree or believe in this theory. I feel that biological processes and nature are not that simplistic and will still require classical newtonian physics/math/chemistry to explain its complexities.
Any thought on this ? Any others wish to air their thoughts? Wolfram is making a remarkable (and startling) theory here, so it will help all of us to share our thoughts on it and satisfy our intellectual curiosities.
thanks
parthav jailwala
 James Freeman <jmfreeman at attbi.com> wrote:Hi Folks,

If any of you have any spare time over the holidays and are interested
in Cellular Automata as shown in Steven Wolfram's book: A New Kind of
Science.
I have made a Perl module which implements one dimensional
non-totalistic cellular automata that can be found at:

http://search.cpan.org/author/JMFREEMAN/Cellular-Automata-Wolfram-1.1/

This may seem off topic, but there are some interesting phenotypes which
can be modeled with cellular automata, and it is a very interesting
topic in its own right.

See:

http://www.wolframscience.com/

for more details.

Warmest Regards,

Jim

--
Bioinformatics Consultant
jmfreeman at attbi.com
“I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.”
- Pablo Picasso

BiO_Bulletin_Board maillist - BiO_Bulletin_Board at bioinformatics.org

If you would lift me up you must be on higher ground.
Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803-1882, American Poet
Parthav Jailwala,Analyst/Project Programmer,Max McGee National Centre for Juvenile Diabetes,Pediatrics(Endocrinology), Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI. Ph : 414-456-8269,E-mail : pjailwal at mcw.edu, Alternate E-mail : pajailwala at yahoo.com