[BiO BB] Re: Bioinformatics Project

Teletchéa Stéphane steletch at biomedicale.univ-paris5.fr
Thu Jul 31 16:50:09 EDT 2003

Le jeu 31/07/2003 à 20:32, Gary Van Domselaar a écrit :
> Hey Gang,
>
> I'm not sure how relevant this is for PHP, but I thought I would mention
> this kind of cool idea:
>
> A while back my colleague J.W. Bizzaro suggested a P2P system for
> distribution of scientific articles in PDF (and perhaps other) formats.
> Users of the system would store their favorite articles locally on their
> server, but make them accessible to others through the P2P system.  The
> system would allow the articles to be restricted to certain authenticated
> groups (eg lab members). Type checking could be enforced so only 'document
> file formats' would be distributed, reducing the potential for abuse.  A
> system like this combined with the features you describe, like automatic
> field retrieval and population from PubMed would be a very useful system
> indeed.

Have alook at refdb, it will allow exactly what you are displaying, the
peer-to-peer solution is nevertheless a bad thing when it is used for a
large scale exchange, MPAA or RIAA or whatever company/group is involved
in the treatment of the problem (they should find a way to distribute
their contents more logically and the peer-to-peer system would stop by
itself).

To be short, linking pybliographic to lyx and refdb is actually a
working system for publication-class paper, but you can imagine much
more : on this database, everyone could add its comments on a specific
paper, like this, you're beginning to have a real database of knowledge
based on publication, and experience from users (some tricks for
improving scales for examples). You'll begin to use a computer at its
real power ...

Stef

--
Teletchéa Stéphane <steletch at biomedicale.univ-paris5.fr>