[BiO BB] Best Bioinformatics and Database Education

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 03:37:46 EST 2003

> Hi Group,
>
> As a C++, VB, .NET programer, also experienced in SQL
> I'm very interested to get into the bioinformatics
> either in programming or in database architecture,
> administration.
>
> What are the modules I should get used to (I've heard
> of Bioperl) ?
>
> Is a certification in Biology or similar mandatory?

This is an interesting question. I think the process of
data modeling is like domain modeling, so in this respect
I think a good understanding of the concepts underlying
the data is important. I.e. You need a certain amount of
domain knowledge.

Naturally this doesn't affect the techical aspects of data
normalization given a good data model, but often normalization
is a pain for end users, who have clear ideas about what
data is conceptually related, and don't want to have to
manually link such data over several tables.

However, if your end users are screened from the underlying
data it is no problem, but then I think you are in the field
of application developement. This may be associated with
bioinformatics, but isn't really any different from any other
kind of engineering work.

I think some really important developement would be to allow
individual (domain experts) to create individual domain models,
which could then be openly shared / linked etc.

Cheers,
Dan.