[BiO BB] protein families

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at burnham.org
Fri Sep 26 02:51:18 EDT 2003

Depends on what you mean by "family"

CATH and SCOP assign proteins in a hierarchical manner to classes, folds,
superfamilies, families based on sequence based (SCOP) and structure based
(CATH) similarities. Both are manually or semi-manually curated. FSSP does
the same task automatically. All three are in a high rate of agreement
(75-80%) regarding their calssifications. Of course, you are limited to
the proteins in PDB only: the ones for which there are solved structures.

If you wish to consider more sequecnes, then other assignemetns are
possible, depending on your purpose. Pfam is a good example.

I suggest you get a good bioinformatics textbook, such as David Mount's,
or Baxevantis, and look through the different classification schemes, and
choose the one which suits your purpose best.

./I

--
Iddo Friedberg, Ph.D.
The Burnham Institute