[BiO BB] Please guide me

Austin Tanney Austin.Tanney at arragen.com
Mon Feb 2 04:22:04 EST 2004

I have to say I am very much with Dan on this one. Java and Perl work for bioinformatics applications. If someone is going to learn a programming language, why not learn one that will be more generally applicable. Bioperl and Biojava have already made a lot of headway into creating a lot of shortcuts for bioinformatics applications anyway. If a specific language was developed purely for bioinformatics, people would still need to learn that language.. if you are going to take the time to learn a language why not learn one that you can use for more than just bioinformatics?

Austin

> it may be pluggable, but i don't want to speculate. i just have an idea  for a
> future. in short
> we can build language for JVM for example which uses all what Java (  notice 3d
> here too) can provide but completely hiddens  it from
> bioinformatics programmer. i'm sure i'll find problems with existing  solutions
> (bioperl and biojava) when i put my hands on it. and yes, ease of use is a main
> reason for such custom language. and i guess it  means how language is presented
> for a researcher. i doubt
> plain java is applicable.

sounds like the tower of babel gone wrong - java, perl, c, all are good for
bioinformatics, laying the concepts on top is the tricky part, and the more you ask
a language to do for you, the more 'locked in' to a particular mind set you get.
Traditional programing languages are good because of the freedom of they give -
beyond that it is a matter of taste. I do not think each dicipline of science should
have its own language. subroutines yes, dialect no.

This e-mail is from ArraGen Ltd

The e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and privileged and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

Any unauthorised direct or indirect dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received the e-mail in error please notify helpdesk at arragen.com or telephone +44 28 38 363841 and delete the e-mail from your system.

E-mail and other communications sent to this company may be reviewed or read by persons other than the intended recipient.

Viruses : although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments are free from any virus, you should, in keeping with good practice, ensure that they are actually virus free.

ArraGen Ltd. Registration Number NI 43067
Registered Address : Almac House, Charlestown Road, Craigavon, BT63 5UA Northern Ireland