[BiO BB] cluster analysis software

Sunil Raj Prasad S99007386 at student.usp.ac.fj
Thu Feb 5 20:42:42 EST 2004

Dear Christophe Battail,

I am a Masters Student at the University of the South Pacific in Fiji
and am studying the leaf litter invertebrates. My project involves using
the litter invertebrates (opliones, Staphylinids and Weevils) to map
their biodiversity hotspots. I extract the invertebrates using the
Winkler Sacks and then sort them into different morphospecies based on
characters derived from literature and also from consultation of
prominent scientist in these field.

I am at the moment using the Jaccard’s index to calculated the
similarity between the different sites and this will help me map
biological provinces in Fiji where really unique, or unique enough for
conservation purposes, litter invertebrates exist. It is known that
invertebrates tend to be more localized then other frequently studied
fauna such as Birds, Mammals, Hepeto fauna, etc. Therefore, this data
together with data derived from other studies will be used to map high
biodiversity regions within Fiji (including the major islands and the
other outer islands).

I also want to do Complementarity analysis and cluster analysis to map
their relatedness based on the morphological characters. However, I do
not know of any such software program which can do that. However, I have
surfed the net band have indeed found several packages which do cluster
analysis based on genetics. I want to do these relatedness analysis
based on the morphological characters instead of the genetics.

Do you know of any such packages or if it is available on the net for me
to download. Please let me know of any fees in advance.

With kind regards,

Sunil Raj Prasad,
GA Conservation Biology,
Biology Department, SPAS,