[BiO BB] Getting PDB id from Swissprot entry

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 09:32:34 EDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Sourangshu Bhattacharya wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there a direct way (without reading the protein name from swissprot
>and searching in PDB) of getting the PDB id of the protein corresponding
>to a particular Swissprot id ?

I would use the MSD database, which maintains a manually curated version
of the SwissProt to PDB mapping.

>Also, how do I know whether structure for a particular protein
>corresponding to a swissprot id has been determined or not ?

Strictly speeking, the above mapping gives you this. More realistically,
however, you can consider very close homologues to the above set as also
'solved'. Where you draw the line is a matter of requirement, but you can
get reasonable models (allegedly) at > 40% sequence identity, or
reasonable 'fold prediction' at much larger distances (see SUPERFAMILY for
example).

It all depends on what you want to do.