[BiO BB] RE: Normalization WAS: database design question

Svensson, B.A.T. (HKG) B.A.T.Svensson at lumc.nl
Wed Mar 3 07:23:07 EST 2004

Dear Jordi,

It seams to me that your "beginner" is a quite advance fellow(?).
I still argue that one need to crawl before one can start to walk.

Even in advanced text book on database system, normalization
(i.e. a database design issues) are not described until the
basic of database system has been covered. Like conceptual
data models, schema's, keys attributes, relationships, roles,
indexes, domains, anomalies, data definition/manipulation
languages, etc, etc, etc...

In my opinion starting with normalization without learning
the basic concept of the above will result in nothing, since
you wont know what it is you want to decompose anyway.

But on the other hand learning the above will implicit teach
you how to do normalization - namely with the common sense
approach. Normalization theory is just a formal way to (read:
a way to make a machines be able to) do what we human already
know by heart and guts.

But even before learning these concept you still need other
foundation to stand on. In my opinion it is simply not enough
to buy an a desktop DBMS and think everything will solve it
self once one know normalization theory - it a little bit
tricker than that.

Put this another way; let say the novice know how to do
normalization. Further assume the novice have normalized
some data set. And now then? What to do next? How do the
novice get raw data in the right format to load it into
the RDBMS? And what means should be used to load data?
Does data need to be updated/replaced frequently - are
we talking genomic databases then we are into a nightmare.
But even if these things are are achieved how will the
novice know how to query the data? Etc, etc, etc...

Yes, there are many ways to Rome, but they are all long...

  * * *

You also claim there is 1 to 100 success ratio in diverting
from normalization. As you might understand, referring to your
experience can't be regarded as a solid proof of your claim.

Especially when there are unanswered question mark, as to what
normalization you are referring to, what is being normalized,
the expertise level of the designer, a comparison with the
unknown, etc, etc...

The 1st primary goal of /any/ software development is:

		*** MAKE IT WORK! ***

This is the primary goal for the beginner to achieve, because
it doesn't matter how fancy your design is if it does not work
at the end of the day. By creating things that works, the novice
will learn from experience what will work smoothly and what does
not, and eventually become a prof.

If the novice just get the data into an RDBMS - in what-
so-ever-normal-form, he will eventually be able to construct
a query that can solves a specific problem for him, simply
because humans are creative beings. However an expert may
say that "the solution was a bit unusual".

In fact quite a lot novices creates, or uses, one single tab
delimited files (with God know what kind of normalization forms),
dump them into some kind of database manger (Excel, MS Access),
and then happily ignore any database design issues and just uses
a "flat" query to get what ever data they need. And this works
in most simplistic cases for the novices. In this way there will
never be a need to changes the layout, just pick what they need,
if something missing, another column will fix that.

I assume you never counted these guys in your 99% failure ratio?

  * * *

On database views:

as you know, view are only predefined queries in the system,
and is only of limited help (a database system is dynamic
in time), since they wont address the issues I already been
mentioning in longer terms.

  * * *

I am satisfied with your last remark, that queries drives the
design - that is to identify the mini-world we want to model.

And when one design like this, a "good design" will no longer
be measured by the normalization level of the system, but by
the real usability of the system, i.e. according to the
primary goal: make it work!

Kind regards,

	//Anders