[BiO BB] extracting data from NCBI taxonomy

Cook, Malcolm MEC at Stowers-Institute.org
Mon Aug 29 12:59:07 EDT 2005

You will need to script eutils
http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/eutils_help.html

For starters:

http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/esearch.fcgi?db=protein&ter
m=txid7711[Organism:exp]&rettype=count

tells you there are 902185 such proteints

You can then get any subrange of those 902185 of them with URLS.  For
instance, you can get the second 50 such gi numbers (in wordy xml) in
your browser using

http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/esearch.fcgi?db=protein&ter
m=txid7711[Organism:exp]&retstart=51&retmax=50&rettype=uilist

however, "The maximum number of retrieved records is 10,000."
(http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/esummary_help.html)

So you need a loop, so you need a script (which you'll need to parse the
wordy xml anyway), which means you will need to study eutils a little
more and learn how to use the web environment feature.

I don't think there is another way, but I hope I can be proved wrong.

Cheers,

Malcolm Cook