[BiO BB] Re: Apple Mac OS X server

Christopher Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Fri Jul 15 09:31:15 EDT 2005

Disclosure:  My company sells a piece of software which installs and
configures a large number of bioinformatics apps under a web portal.
The majority of installations of our software are on Apple XServes.

We haven't had any trouble with the open source tools on OS X.  The
specific ones you mention all work fine, out of the box.  Some
commercial and closed source tools have been slow to provide binaries
for Apple, but they're coming along now.

The Bioinformatics Benchmark Suite is a decent tool for benchmarking
systems on a popular set of tools in a common set of use cases
(http://www.scalableinformatics.com/metadot/index.pl?iid=2194).

My experience has been that benchmarks need to be tuned to the
specific use case, or else they're hopelessly vague.  You will get
wildly different results depending on whether you need response time
or throughput, HMMER or BLASTN, etc.

-Chris Dwan
  The BioTeam