[BiO BB] models of sugars

Pankaj pankaj at nii.res.in
Thu Mar 30 00:18:25 EST 2006

Hi all,
I want to dock a few carbohydrate monosaccharides to their respective
proteins, like L-vancosmaine or D-glucose or D-mannose. I have two questions:
1) I have no idea about the differences between the D- and L-isomer. I have
read about it on net. I understand fischer projection etc on the 2-D plane but
how excatly do stereoisomers of sugars in pyranose form differ in 3-D
structure. Having the sugar in a pyranose ring then how do I model (ie a 3-D
model of D-mannose or L-mannose etc) its structure?
2) Is there a databse from where I can download 3-D structure of these sugars.

Thanking all in advance
Pankaj Khurana