[BiO BB] Fish genomics

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Tue May 9 11:14:54 EDT 2006

You should read the papers that publish the genomes for these different
species.

They mention the reason behind sequencing their genome.  I remember from
the fugu paper - Fugu is a distant cousin of humans and has a very
compact genome, about 1/8 in size.  As such, it lacks a lot of "junk
dna" aka introns and intergenic regions leaving it genome mostly
functional.  It should help in determining what is functional in human
versus what is non-functional.

Also, look at the website that make the genomes available - NCBI, UCSC,
Ensemble, etc.  If you read their "About" pages, you should get more
information...

Ryan