[BiO BB] API for gene ontology retrieval?

Chris Mungall cjm at fruitfly.org
Thu Nov 16 18:51:10 EST 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 4:28 PM, Ahmed Moustafa wrote:

> Thank you all so much for your replies!!!
> I think Chri's approach, to download the database and deal with it,
> is the way to go.
> Do you know whether the GO database holds beyond the models organisms?

Yes.

> Or would I have to restrict the BLAST search to a model organism to
> be able to retrieve the gene ontology later from the GO database
> for the hit?

I don't think so. But not every hit in your blast would correspond to
something annotated with GO; and even if it did you probably have to
deal with ID mapping somewhere.

> BTW, is there a plan to make the GO database remotely accessible
> (e.g. Ensembl core database)?

Do you mean permit mysql access remotely, or provide some kind of
REST-based API?

When I looked into the former, there appeared to be a lack of good
ways to throttle potential killer queries. For the latter we have
nothing as yet, but should have something soon.