[BiO BB] NCBI web service

Ethan Strauss ethan.strauss at promega.com
Tue Sep 19 16:02:42 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,
	I have figured out part of my problem, but not how to fix it...
	What is happening is that I am running blast and just grabbing
gi numbers from the XML blast results. When I send these gi numbers to
NCBI, it sends me back all the data associated with each gi number. This
data includes the sequence. It turns out that a few of the gi numbers in
my test set point to complete chromosomes! I think that NCBI is
returning the information completely, but that the connection can't
support the many millions of characters being passed.
	What I would like to do is somehow query just for the size of
the sequences being returned and not asked for info on sequences which
are too large. I have not dug through NCBI's documentation in great
depth yet, but a quick look turns up nothing. If anyone knows how to do
this already, I would appreciated it.
Thanks!
Ethan