[BiO BB] anyone familiar with flybase or scaffolding nomenclature?

Gurgul, Dennis J. DGURGUL at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Dec 28 08:22:20 EST 2007

Received the attached from a friend who was involved in the development of
flybase.  Hope it helps.

Dennis

Dennis J. Gurgul
Research Computing
Partners Health Care
617.724.3169
http://www.partners.org/rescomputing
>https://research.partners.org/wiki/index.php/HPC_Clusters

-----Original Message-----
From: bio_bulletin-bounces at board [mailto:bio_bulletin-bounces at board] On Behalf
Of Mike Marchywka
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:19 AM
To: bbb at bioinformatics.org
Subject: [BiO BB] anyone familiar with flybase or scaffolding nomenclature?

Hi,
I read this

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/nov2007/nhgri-07.htm

and thought it may be interesting to go get 12 assembled small genomes to
search for various polymoprhisms and test some code. I downloaded the
fasta files from flybase and hunted around their site for a while
but I couldn't figure out what the scaffold names mean or
if there is a set of assembled genomes somewhere. Anyone
have a link to relevant tutorial info? For that matter, can anyone suggest
another set of closely related organisms ( breeds within species
or cultivars among plants, I'm quite open to ideas) with small genomes
for testing?

Thanks.

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: Hotmail is blocking my mom's entire
ISP claiming it is to reduce spam but probably
to force users to use hotmail. Please DON'T
assume I am ignoring you and try
me on marchywka at yahoo.com if no reply
here. Thanks.

You IM, we give.  Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join
Now.  http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.