[BiO BB] Mascot parameters

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 08:02:31 EST 2007

Would anyone be willing to post a link to a tutorial or give us a quick
explanation
of the issues  involved in precise protein identification and
quantification?

I'm interested in a practical problems in immunology where you read about
results like
this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16463039&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum
"Immunization with oxidized ovarian tumor cell lines may represent an
improved therapeutic strategy to stimulate a polyclonal anti-tumor cellular
immune response and hence extend remission in ovarian cancer."

and have to ask, " if you wanted to prepare a pure, highly immunogenic
antigen, should you
make it with clean side chains or should you oxidize or otherwise modify
some of them?"
If you were a dendritic cell looking for the results of a neutrophil attack,
you may suspect
that the HOCl or H2O2  modified proteins are good candidates for being from
pathogens.
Some drugs that seem to produce autoimmune reactions seem to do so by
covalently
modifiying host proteins- you really have to suspect that small amounts of
unusual
proteins could be very interesting.

If you design a dendritic cell vaccine using a single defined antigen
you may reasonably  speculate that observed immune response could be due to
modified
versions ("impurities" ) of the intended antigen. How hard would it be to
find
out what is actually in your  "pure antigen" ? ( presumably you would then
attempt
to make something which consists primarily of each impurity and test it
for immunogenicity)

I've always wondered what the limitations are for identifcation and
measurement of
these things.

Thanks.