[BiO BB] plotter and tabular data - visualization

Ann Loraine aloraine at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:19:58 EST 2007

Hello all,

I'm looking for a (kind of) specialized visualization tool, which I'm
sure must already exist...hopefully one of you can point me in the
right direction.

I want something that can read in columns of numbers, where each row
might be labeled with some value, such as a microarray slide id, or
something like that.

Then, I want to plot the columns of numbers against each other (a
scatter plot), so that I can, by eye, recognize any interesting
patterns relating one column to another, such as a linear
relationship, or correlation.

There are of course lots of programs that can do the plotting part
relatively easily, but I what I want on top of this is the ability to
interact with the plot.

For example, I want the tool to display the original data in a sort of
Excel-style spreadsheet format, so that I can click on one or more
rows or cells the spreadsheet and see the corresponding points in the
plot "light up." Likewise, I want to be able to click on points in the
plot, and see the corresponding rows get highlighted.

R has something like this, but it is very clumsy and awkward -- at
least, it was clumsy and awkard the last time I tried it, which was a
few years ago. Maybe there's something better now?

Please let me know if you have used something like this .. or just
heard about it!

Ann Loraine

Ann Loraine, Assistant Professor
Departments of Genetics, Biostatistics,
Computer and Information Sciences
Associate Scientist, Comprehensive Cancer Center
University of Alabama at Birmingham