[BiO BB] Global sequence alignments

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:31:20 EST 2007

I'm still using clustalw- I even have scripts to parse the output.

Also, to reply to earlier poster on data interaction, apparently R does have
source code-
if it does something close to what
you want it may be realistic to modify the code or make your own contributed
piece.

Sorry for lack of alphabetical order but I also downloaded O- has anyone
used this
to model cavities? I couldn't quite figure it out and thought there may be
some good
examples of better suggestions.

I also am surprised how easy it is to do simple things
with openGL ( as per someone's suggestion earlier). It was pretty easy to
write
a simple atom class, read a pdb file to populate an STL container of atoms,
read a radius
file from the O distribution, and quickly make a solid model similar to
RasMol. The nice
thing about this is that now I can perform operations on the atom
collection, generate a
new collection of pseudo-atoms ( test spheres that fill a cavity for example
) and then display
my calculated "molecule." I'm sure there are packages for this but it
doesn't take long before
you wish the calculations were done in optimized native code- so C++ with
the STL library
and openGL works pretty well.

If you want to try
something like this with a windoze system and no tools, consider downloading
cygwin-
pymol won't build easily but most of these other things will.

( note new address as of 10-06)
Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165r