[BiO BB] Python or Perl

tim timmcilveen at talktalk.net
Sun Jan 14 19:07:02 EST 2007

Hi,
I am a final year Molecular Sciences student (chemistry and molecular
biology) and am trying to teach myself some bioinformatics programming.
My history is in Basic from years ago. Because of this, I find Python a
bit easier to understand. Having said this, is biopython widely used, or
would I be as well persevering with learning Perl, and then bioperl
which seems to have  a bigger following?

Just one more question. Are most people involved in bioinformatics
programming  working in industry/academia , are are there  people
involved in open access , internet based projects? - just curious!

Tim