[BiO BB] Masters Program Advice

orbitz at ezabel.com orbitz at ezabel.com
Wed Jul 11 21:46:33 EDT 2007

Hello,
I am looking for some advice on bioinformatics masters programs.  My
background is mostly as a computer scientists.  I currently work as a
programmer.  I completed an undergraduate bioinformatics program and
have been out of school for about a year.  I would like to get a
masters.  I have started by looking for masters programs, in the US.
I have found three schools so far that look interesting.  I'm not
sure how one chooses a grad school, I have been told that I should
decide on what aspect of bioinformatics I would like to research and
find a school with someone who specializes in that, although I
honestly don't know enough about an bioinformaticians or the schools
at the moment.  I know I would like to work with infectious diseases
currently but I'm not sure about beyond that.  I am not sure if any
of the schools I have been currently looking at are good for this, or
if I can get into them currently.  The undergraduate program I was
part of also did not have all of the classes which are pre-reqs in
some of the programs I have looked at.  For instance my program did
not involve Organic Chemistry and at least one of the programs
requires two semester of it as a pre-req. I am not sure how this
situation is dealt with.

The three schools I have looked at currently are Johns Hopkins,
Stanford, and University Of Wisconsin.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,