[BiO BB] Genbank file conversion to GCG format

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 03:48:18 EDT 2007

Vered Caspi wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a free software (unix) for mass conversion of GenBank files to GCG format.
> If any one has experience with that, I will be happy to learn.

Assuming you mean GCG sequence files (not a GCG sequence database):

EMBOSS can convert many sequence formats, including Genbank and GCG,
using the program "seqret".

Just one warning ... you need the -ossingle option on the command line
to write each sequence to a separate file (or process one Genbank
sequence at a time if they are already in separate files). EMBOSS can
read GCG files with more than one sequence but other applications may
assume only one sequence per file.

regards,

Peter Rice