[BiO BB] Genbank file conversion to GCG format

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 12:30:37 EDT 2007

Mike Marchywka wrote:
> No matter how simple the code it is important to determine its working
> right.
> It isn't the computer you are checking, its the human :)
> Dumb things like implementation specific string size limits, buffer
> flushing,etc
> can drop random stuff that would take forever to find.

For those who have never seen one, here is a GCG format sequence as
written by EMBOSS. It has enough essential details to be used by GCG.

!!AA_SEQUENCE 1.0

Example GCG sequence

This is all text up to the first line with two dots
so we cannot have a normal EMBL/GenBank feature table here
unless we first convert '.' to '_'

Checksum line coming up:

gcgseq  Length: 22  Type: P  Check:  731 ..

   1 acdefghikl mnpqrstvwx yz