[BiO BB] Genbank file conversion to GCG format

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 12:30:37 EDT 2007

Mike Marchywka wrote:
> No matter how simple the code it is important to determine its working
> right.
> It isn't the computer you are checking, its the human :)
> Dumb things like implementation specific string size limits, buffer
> flushing,etc
> can drop random stuff that would take forever to find.

For those who have never seen one, here is a GCG format sequence as
written by EMBOSS. It has enough essential details to be used by GCG.

Example GCG sequence

This is all text up to the first line with two dots
so we cannot have a normal EMBL/GenBank feature table here
unless we first convert '.' to '_'

Checksum line coming up:

gcgseq  Length: 22  Type: P  Check:  731 ..

   1 acdefghikl mnpqrstvwx yz