[BiO BB] high school project in bioinformatics

nisha rajagopal nish.iitg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 03:48:02 EDT 2007

Hi

My sister is a student of class 12 and as part of her biology project
she would like to work on an area in bioinformatics.
I went through the suggestion given in one of the postings :

"How about a protein sequence colorer? Read a FASTA file, and use
different color schemes based on charge, hydrophobicity, size, polarity.
This could also be turned into a simple hydropathy indexing plot, thus a
 primitive membrane protein predictor.
  If this sounds like an underkill, apply same idea to a multiple
sequence alignment.  Conservation indices etc. may be calculated for
each column. "
While my sister is good at Math and biology she does not know much of
computer programming.
Would this project be feasible for her? Could you also describe the
project in more detail?
Thanks,
Nisha