[BiO BB] Blast tree view widget

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:31:49 EDT 2007

Did you try asking them? Their general help desk  could probably get you to
developers but they probably have a link somewhere. I've never had a problem
getting info from them on just about anything.

As far as google, try something with the term "visualization" as in "data
visualization"
for a start. The clustering search engines always help get me started, try
vivisimo or
clusty ( can't remember which name is more recent).

FWIW, I went
crazy with openGL for molecule viewing ( not all the features of RasMol
yet, but almost as fast in some modes and nice for custom code trials
like cavity fill- I have some artistic interaction surfaces [ still looking
for realistic potentials ])
and started to add a general purpose graphing system.
This is kluged right now but amazingly easy to write. My point is that
if you have a c++ compiler you can probably write your own pretty quickly.

Don't underestimate how quickly templatized OO code lets you build up a
resuable
code library either and also don't forget how easy it is to write a one page
program
that you can pipe to and from. I have had some experimental distance
measures
and I could write them in a page of code and tack them onto a "main" method-
then I have something that works with all my scripts. There are always a few
caveats for performance - I ripped out all the ">>" junk for reading fasta
files in favor of "readsome"
( or whatever the method is for buffer access, I'm away from the code right
now)-
but usually you don't have to track down flakely memory corruption problems
etc.

If you want to move slowly, main(argc argv) works just as a class method as
it does
at global scope :)