[BiO BB] doing clustering based on similarity matrix

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:20:33 EDT 2007

I was going to post this earlier, essentially suggesting the same source
but also pointing out that the source code is available ( as a programmer,
that is my answer to everything, see comments below).

>From time to time, I end up reinventing a wheel ( for instance, after I
started moving clustalw to c++ the authors released their own c++ version
and
I just wrote another xml parser... ). If you can post links to the existing
art and an
input format, I may be able to adapt something I have and you can
simultaneously
make your request more informative for everyone and avoid responses
regarding things you've already examined.

While I haven't looked lately, I was doing document clustering earlier and
found many
packages available with source code ( you can adapt it as you like). Oddly
enough,
I ended up using gene expression software to cluster documents as you
can make document properties look like expression amounts.

As I illustrated earlier, you can do proof of concept of novel clustering
ideas in perl/bash scripts
with limited "real" code.

I think I used the treeview software related to this, as one example:

http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/cluster/software.htm#ctv

"People that want to make use of the clustering algorithms in their own C,
C++, or Fortran programs can download the source code of the C Clustering
Library. "

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: Hotmail is blocking my mom's entire
ISP claiming it is to reduce spam but probably
to force users to use hotmail. Please DON'T
assume I am ignoring you and try
me on marchywka at yahoo.com if no reply
here. Thanks.