[BiO BB] TopMatch protein structure alignment and superposition web service

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 17:35:12 EDT 2008

> For each protein deposited in PDB, you can easily explore its structural neighborhood and visualize structural similarities with TopMatch.
> If you try with the example you mentioned, you find the dehydrosqualene synthase structures assigned to be similar to 1ezf.

Sure, if you have suspects I guess this is helpful. I was thinking of something like a cavity or surface database
however. I guess in this case, you could suspect functional similarities but I don't know if there is something
to compare shape and chemical environments of cavities. I wrote some cavity code for my home-made
molecule viewer and was able to generate some nice pictures by coloring cavity walls based on
nearest atom type, but I'm not sure if something like that would be useful for finding related enzymes.

I'll have to get the sequences and see if my rule annotater can find functional similarities in 1D when I
get a chance. Are there known, conserved functional groups in 1D that help create the 3D structure even if
this amounts to limited total sequence identity?