[BiO BB] Advanced web query interfaces for biological databases

Keith Callenberg keithcallenberg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 20:23:30 EDT 2008

Thanks for your suggestion, Mike. As a developer I also value the
concept of an open and freely available API, and I wish that more
sites would provide these, but I am not sure it is yet appropriate for
our database as it will be some time before we have a sizable pool of
users, letalone developers.

Also, I might not be clear on what you mean by "programmatically," but
I think it is a bit short-sighted to limit the scope of web-based
interfaces to only casual queries. I am not usually a supporter of the
term "Web 2.0" because I think it has lately signified little more
than colorful buttons, but I do believe more and more tasks can be
accomplished from within the browser. I believe energy should be put
into moving more advanced tasks online because it removes learning
curves and hardware restrictions, thereby increasing your base of
users.

I think it is not easy to develop an intuitive web-based UI that is
not fairly restrictive, but that does not mean it should not be
pursued.

Keith