[BiO BB] Multicore Programming / Network Coding

Tavish Baker tavishmit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:10:31 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Based on some of the posts I have seen over the year, I thought this
might be of interest to some of you.

MIT will be holding some computing / network short courses on campus
this summer, maybe of particular interest to you all are:

Multicore Programming
July 14-18, 2008
http://web.mit.edu/mitpep/pi/courses/multicore_programming.html

The course exposes students to fundamental issues in the design of
concurrent programs and to the techniques necessary to make effective
use of multicore machines. It combines lectures and classwork to
gradually enhance students' intuition and technique.

And maybe...

Introduction to Network Coding
August 4-8, 2008
http://web.mit.edu/mitpep/pi/courses/network_coding.html

Network coding is a new area of networking, in which data is
manipulated inside the network to increase throughput, reduce delay,
and improve robustness. This field has recently found commerical
applications in content distribution, peer-to-peer design, and
enabling high-throughput wireless networks. The goal of this class is
to provide participants with the theoretical and practical tools
necessary not only to understand the field of network coding, but
also to conduct independent, innovative work in the area. The
curriculum reflects this mixture of theoretical foundations and
practical approaches.