[BiO BB] Need fair alignment tool comparison/ using DSCAM for tool testing

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 07:39:14 EST 2008

Thanks. Do you know off hand if this has a memory saving mode? It wasn't immediately obvious
from the ./mafft --help

Also, there may be some ability to use concepts from here if you want to optimize this :http://www.fftw.org/

I tried it on the e coli strains and the memory usage went to 1Gb ( VM limit, I only have 256M physical)
and of course ( well, doesn't have to do but normally does ) CPU went to low levels ( more VM action
than computation presumably). It seemed to know it should go to something called "memsave mode" but I'm
not sure it realized it was playing with virtaul memory ( do you know if it is supposed to
be cache aware or otherwise know about memory?):

$ ./mafft --retree 1 /cygdrive/e/new/temp/both_fasta> xxxxx
reallocating...
done.
reallocating...
done.
generating 200PAM scoring matrix for nucleotides ... done
scoremtx = -1
Gap Penalty = -1.53, +0.00, -0.12

Making a distance matrix ..
    1 / 2
done.

Constructing a UPGMA tree ...
    0 / 2
done.

Progressive alignment ...
STEP     1 / 1
len1=4979619, len2=4639675, Switching to the memsave mode
fm FFT ...

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: Hotmail is blocking my mom's entire
ISP claiming it is to reduce spam but probably
to force users to use hotmail. Please DON'T
assume I am ignoring you and try
me on marchywka at yahoo.com if no reply
here. Thanks.