[BiO BB] how to calculate the atom distance between antigen and antibody

Xue Li me.lixue at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:20:08 EDT 2008

Thank you guys for replying my email.

I think that I did not make myself clear enough.

My problem is I do not even know from a pdb file which atoms belongs to
antigen and which belongs to antibody.

For example, for 1JPS.pdb. There are three chains: chain L, chain H and
chain T.

Part of the pdb is :

----------------------
HEADER    IMMUNE SYSTEM                           03-AUG-01
1JPS
TITLE     CRYSTAL STRUCTURE OF TISSUE FACTOR IN COMPLEX
WITH
TITLE    2 HUMANIZED FAB
D3H44
COMPND    MOL_ID:
1;
COMPND   2 MOLECULE: IMMUNOGLOBULIN FAB D3H44, LIGHT
CHAIN;
COMPND   3 CHAIN:
L;
COMPND   4 FRAGMENT: FAB
FRAGMENT;
COMPND   5 ENGINEERED:
YES;
COMPND   6 MOL_ID:
2;
COMPND   7 MOLECULE: IMMUNOGLOBULIN FAB D3H44, HEAVY
CHAIN;
COMPND   8 CHAIN:
H;
COMPND   9 FRAGMENT: FAB
FRAGMENT;
COMPND  10 ENGINEERED:
YES;
COMPND  11 MOL_ID:
3;
COMPND  12 MOLECULE: TISSUE
FACTOR;
COMPND  13 CHAIN:
T;
COMPND  14 FRAGMENT: EXTRACELLULAR
DOMAIN;
COMPND  15 ENGINEERED: YES

Is chain T antigen, because chain L and chain  H are denoted as LIGHT CHAIN
and HEAVY CHAIN?

Is this a general rule to tell which chain corresponds to antigen?

Thank you very much!

Li