[BiO BB] Save protein structure image as an adobe SVG format file

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 26 17:33:39 EST 2008

> Spheres aren't that hard for z-sorting,

Yes, a collection of atoms can be well approximated with a Z-sorted
stack of circles in 2D. But *molecules* are represented by
intersecting spheres and the line of intersection is a circle at an
arbitrary orientation relative to the viewer. It projects as an
ellipse, and part of the ellipse is occluded.

Think "methane".

(And working with ball and stick models, or even cartoon or mesh
representations, you'll start recoding much of what the 3D-viewer is
there to do in the first place.)

BKchem is 2D chemical structure editor.

Again: Molscript produces postscript output. Postscript can be
converted to svg.

:-)
B.