[BiO BB] Phylo PostDoc position at Brown

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Mon Sep 1 23:09:46 EDT 2008

Posting for a friend.  Please respond to Casey Dunn, address below.

 Phyloinformatics Postdoc Opportunity

 I am currently seeking a postdoctoral researcher interested in the
 conceptual and practical problems of analyzing phylogenetic data from
 whole genomes and ESTs. This work will build on a recently published
 animal phylogeny (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature06614) that
 considered 150 genes from 77 broadly sampled taxa, including 29
 animals for which we collected new EST data. The primary research
 focus will be on homology identification (based largely on graph-
 theory approaches to building clusters of similar genes from pairwise
 similarity data) and paralogy evaluation (through phylogenetic
 methods). The postdoc will explore various theoretical aspects of
 these and related problems, and take part in the authorship of open-
 source software tools that will facilitate large-scale phylogenomic
 projects in labs without the expertise to build these tools from
 scratch. It is hoped that the successful candidate will take the
 initiative to investigate and build tools for other new challenges
 that are arising with the the growing use of high-throughput
 sequencing for phylogenetic problems. The candidate would be
 encouraged to get involved on the field, organismal, and wet-lab
 aspects of the research program if they so desire.

 A thorough understanding of phylogenetic theory and experience in the
 phylogenetic analysis of molecular data are essential. Strong unix
 skills, proficiency with one or more computer languages, and
 familiarity with relational
[...]

 familiarity with relational databases are also required.

 The position will remain open until filled, with the successful
 candidate starting as soon as is possible for them. Please send a
 cover letter the reasoning for your interest in the project, a
current
 c.v., and contact information for 3 professional references to
casey_dunn at brown.edu
 . More information on my lab can be found
at:http://www.brown.edu/Faculty/Dunn_Lab/index.php
 .

 Dr. Casey Dunn
 http://www.brown.edu/Faculty/Dunn_Lab/index.php

 casey_dunn at brown.edu           80 Waterman Street
 office 401.863.9806                   Box G-W
 lab 401.863.2242                 Brown University
 siphonophores.org                       Providence, RI 02912 USA

casey_dunn at brown.edu
 . More information on my lab can be found
at:http://www.brown.edu/Faculty/Dunn_Lab/index.php
 .

 Dr. Casey Dunn
 http://www.brown.edu/Faculty/Dunn_Lab/index.php

 casey_dunn at brown.edu           80 Waterman Street
 office 401.863.9806                   Box G-W
 lab 401.863.2242                 Brown University
 siphonophores.org                       Providence, RI 02912 USA

---
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
UC Irvine 92697  949 824-0084(o), 949 285-4487(c)
--
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends"
 - Abraham Lincoln