[BiO BB] time efficient global alignment algorithm

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Mon Aug 3 13:45:57 EDT 2009

I'm trying to perform a large amount of sequence alignments of long DNA
sequences, some up to 163,000+ bp in length.  I was trying to use the
standard Needleman-Wunsch algorithm, but the matrix used requires a
large amount of memory...about 100 GB of memory.  This obviously won't work.

I tried using stretcher from the EMBOSS package, but it takes way too
long to align each pair of sequences.  I'm looking for something that
can perform alignments fast using a reasonable amount of memory.

I found one tool, called AVID, but have been unsuccessful in getting it
to run to the sequence set I have.

Before I go an try to develop a new solution to this, does anyone have
or recommend a program to perform a large number of global pairwise
alignments for long sequences?

Ideally, something with the speed similar to BLAST.

Ryan