[BiO BB] [Portal Web Design for Bioinformatics] How to start and cross platform issues

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 26 07:33:58 EDT 2009

[ this is a trimmed down version of message I sent earlier that
was too big for distro. Note also that hotmail is trying to encode
the special chars so it reads poorly, I'm going to gmail... ]

>> Thanks a lot=2C guys=2C for the detailed messages=2C which is very helpfu=
> l. Now I
>> know where to start at least.
>>
>> My understanding is that platform decides which tools / frameworks would =
> be
>> available to you. So that is a big decision for a starter...

 I really depends on what you mean by tools and models versus views.
 And API is more concerned with the information part rather than
 the human viewing thing. If you provide that the tools are generally
 available everywhere and much more versatile. If you provide vendor-specifi=
 pictures or human readable views only=2C you reduce the ability of the user
 to process your data in an automated ad hoc manner. Without knowing specifi=
 cally what you are doing but assuming it has something to do
 with information=2C I would try to consider an information-providing API
 early on rather than jump into more constraining view formats.=20

 Certainly the first question would be something like=2C "is my information
 a dead end or would people want to integrate it with other data and
 processing methods?" If it isn't a dead end data set=2C you really help
 make it available with an API not just a Flash app.=20