[BiO BB] How to create a Transcription binding site profile

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Fri May 14 11:56:19 EDT 2010

Depends on your output and how you want to process it.  If the output
are short reads (10s of bases) as from a HTS technology (Ill, 454,
etc), the output is essentially 'aligned' already - that is the
binding site is effectively encoded in the output.

If the output is from longer sequences (100s of bases) and you want to
be able to extract the binding sites from those longer sequences to
increase your signal, there are a couple of ways to do it depending
on prior knowledge.

If you don't know the binding motif, you can use one of the de novo
motif finders such as nmica
<http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/nestedmica/> to generate
it from the seqs you have.

If you have a good enough idea of what the sequence is and you can
describe it in a regular expression or IUPAC coding with a few
errors, you can extract the motifs so described plus whatever padding
you want in fasta format using tacg or some other extractor and then
align them using your favorite aligner (clustal, tcoffee, etc).

hjm