[BiO BB] (no subject)

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Sun Jan 23 13:38:00 EST 2011

Hi Amir,

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for programming in this domain,
but while there may be reason to do this, there are a number of such
tools already extant that seem to have many more features already:
- the ugene GUI tool is one <http://ugene.unipro.ru/>
- the webcutter web interface <http://bio.lundberg.gu.se/cutter2/>
-  NEB's own Web RE mapper <http://tools.neb.com/NEBcutter2/index.php>
- the EMBOSS RE modules
<http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/release/6.3/emboss/apps/nucleic_restriction_group.html>
- and even (immodestly, my own) tacg <tacg.sf.net>

Many of these are open source and if you're interested in the field,
you'd be welcome to use your talents to expand or enhance these
existing tools rather than start yet another from scratch.  If you
want to remain programming in Python, the BioPython project would be
happy to have your help to improve their modules and you would be in
the company of some brilliant programmers who would be (mostly) happy
to exchange their insights for some sweat equity.

Just sayin...

Best
Harry

On Friday 21 January 2011 07:10:50 amir chaouki wrote:
> hello, i am a member in bioinformatics organisation and i
> have created a new tool, named gCut, for restriction analysis
> and i will appreciate if you can just check it and tell me
> what you think about it, i have posted it in
> bioinformatics.org but i just need some body with a lot of
> experience in this field to tell me what he thinks about
> this. you can find it in: gcut.sourceforge.net
> please help me i will be grateful if you respond to this
> message. thank you, tell me also what are the functionalities that
> i can add in the future.

Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[ZOT 2225] / 92697  Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487
MSTB=Bldg 415 (G-5 on <http://today.uci.edu/pdf/UCI_09_map_campus.pdf>
Lat/Long: 33.642025,-117.844414 (paste into google maps)
--
Like the autumn leaves / Our rights flutter to the ground /
So too, our trousers.    <http://goo.gl/boJcT>