[BiO BB] Fwd: [SMW-devel] Plans for Google Summer of Code

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 05:30:05 EST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Markus Krötzsch <markus at semantic-mediawiki.org>
Date: 8 March 2011 22:30
Subject: [SMW-devel] Plans for Google Summer of Code
To: semediawiki-user at lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: Semantic MediaWiki developers <semediawiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

Dear all,

SMW is planning to participate in Google Summer of Code this year (in
previous years, we did this under the umbrella of the Wikimedia
Foundation). This is a great opportunity for young hackers from around
the world to make key contributions to SMW-related projects while
earning both money and experience. Semantic Maps and RDFIO are examples
of projects that came out of earlier GSoCs.

As the name suggests, actual work will happen in summer, but it is not
too early to make a mental note, or to get in touch with the people you
would like to work with. I forward below an email from Sumana, the GSoC
coordinator for the Wikimedia Foundation, which contains many helpful
hints for students. The initial project page for SMW is at

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/GSoC_2011

Students (and interested users) can also propose their own projects --
the best place to do this is is on the SMW developers list (CCed) or on
the SMW IRC channel. In principle, we can host all projects which are
related to SMW extensions and to MediaWiki in general, as long as SMW
users will clearly benefit from them.

Cheers,

Markus