[BioBrew Users] Biobrew vs Biolinux vs Rocks

Glen Otero gotero at linuxprophet.com
Fri Jan 30 00:31:34 EST 2004

I've given this a lot of thought and I think I'll be able to make
everyone happy.

BioBrew is based on Rocks for cluster installation and management, but
we're moving into new areas, like using VMI as a virtual messaging
layer for message passing over multiple interconnects, and a few other
goodies. Since some folks may not want to go the VMI route, or embrace
some of the future changes we'll be making, I plan on producing a
BioBrew roll. The BioBrew roll will be compatible with Rocks so people
can use vanilla Rocks and just grab the BioBrew roll from our site.
I'll probably be able to host the BioBrew roll at the Rocks site as
well. But as for the BioBrew cluster distro, the BioBrew roll will
always be integrated, since that is the idea. Future
neurochemogeophysio rolls will have the same architecture--available as
an individual roll and as an integrated distro. The roll mechanism is a
great way to develop and distribute software, and I plan to take full
advantage of it. I hope to work with Dan to increase the features of
BioBrew by incorporating any RPMs he has built into BioBrew. Of course,
Dan can have any of our SRPMs for Bio-Linux. I've also proposed to him
that we pool our individual SRPMs and use them to seed another project
of mine at bioinformatics.org, the Biopackage repository, so that folks
can just grab an individual SRPM and build it themselves.

Glen