[BioBrew Users] is BioBrew right for me?

Carlo Lapid aximili23 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:44:14 EST 2005

I'm a molecular biology student interested in learning more about
bioinformatics. I plan to purchase a new laptop very soon, and thought I'd
have it partitioned, with a distribution of linux that's geared towards
bioinformatics installed in the second partition. That way I can do most of
my work with the first partition, but use the second partition to
familiarize myself with both the linux environment and standard
bioinformatics tools and software. (I've heard that linux is the way to go
for anyone serious about doing work in bioinformatics).

My question is, what distribution of linux is right for me? I've heard of
BioBrew, Bio-Linux, DNALinux, and others, and I'm not sure which one I
should install. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Here are some points I'm considering:

1) I'm hardly familiar with Linux, so I'd like a distribution that's easy to
install and learn.
2) It has to be free, something I can just download from the Internet.
3) The laptop I'm getting has 80 GB of disk space, I'm intending to
partition it maybe 60-20. So whatever distribution I'm getting should fit
well into 20 GB.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Carlo