[Bioclusters] how to run BLAST on a linux cluster

Chris Dagdigian dagdigian@blackstonecomputing.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:48:17 -0500

Jie,

I bet that more than a few people on this list have done exactly what
you are describing below.

All of the DRM software suites I mentioned in the last email will handle
the task of batching, scheduling and executing your blast and other
jobs. If you are looking for the free ones you have the following options:

o OpenPBS: http://www.openpbs.org
o GridEngine: http://www.sun.com/gridware/
o Condor: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

OpenPBS is probably the most popular right now especially as it is often
dropped in by default when you by a generic linux cluster or compute
farm from somebody. Veridian systems (the people who make and market the
commercial variant) provide support for OpenPBS via a fairly active
mailing list.

I only recommend OpenPBS to people and groups who are comfortable
getting down and dirty with the source code and scheduler minutae. It is
not an appropriate choice for clusters where for instance it is expected
  that corporate IT types will be responsible for administration tasks.

Platform used to spread FUD about OpenPBS by claiming that OpenPBS
cannot handle more than 5,000 jobs without losing/dropping some of them
into a "black hole". There is apparently some grain of truth to his if
you read some of the comments in the beowulf mailing lists. One thing
that I don't like about OpenPBS is that often times the answer that
people give on the support mailing list is "upgrade to PBSPro to get rid
of that problem". There seem to be enough unfixed bugs and stability
issues with the OpenPBS product that I usually tell people that if they
are interested in PBS they would be better off in the long run by
purchasing the commercial version. Veridian sells the commercial version
(with source) for a very reasonable price (last time I checked it was
roughly $100 USD per CPU).

I can't comment on Condor all that much except to say that I know there
are at least a few academic institutions who swear by it and easily cope
with tens of thousands of jobs. I've never run into condor outside of
academia though.

GridEngine works great and is getting better all the time. It's also
free and has no trouble scaling up to hundreds of nodes and many
thousands of jobs. The company I work for pretty much exclusively uses
Platform LSF or GridEngine for the informatics systems we work on.

The software layer is an important part but it is not 100% of the
solution. Make sure that you purchase your cluster from someone who
knows how you are going to use it (and how Blast behaves). At the end of
the day a well-designed cluster architecture is going to be more
important than your eventual choice of load management layers.

-Chris