[Bioclusters] Re: resources on administering clusters

Kris Boulez bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:44:37 +0200

Quoting James Cuff (james@sanger.ac.uk):

> This actually got me to thinking about the Linux software based RAID 0
> sets that we have been using in our current blade evaluations (I'm planing
> to report all our findings to the list once the bake offs are complete -
> infact ChrisD will probably hold me to it... :->).

I'm also very intrested in it, as we are doing some benchmarks using (I
think) the same blades.

Does anyone on this list know how to evaluate the memory usage of a
program running under Linux. We have a program that runs a long time
(days) and has a pretty big VmSize (~1.8 GB). Much to our surprise this
runs pretty well on a 512MB machine (VmRSS around 300000 KB), although
the authors of the code claimed that the code does access all the memory
it has requested for (in a semi-random way).
I have looked at graphs of VmSize and VmRSS vs. time and output of sar
(~5 pages per sec paged in / out ).

Any other things I might look at and give me an idea about which parts
of the memory of the program are accessed and how often ?

Kris,