[Bioclusters] Call for information.

Paul Gardner bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:52:56 +1200 (NZST)

Hi All,

Well thanks for your replies (Ivo, Josh, William). Unfortunately I think
we've got off the topic a bit. Obviously the Pentium vs Athlon debate is a
popular discussion.  The only reason we're not considering the Athlon
solution is that our University has a ridiculous contract with a Hardware
provider that doesn't supply Athlon chips.

What I'm really interested in is what applications are others using
BioClusters for. Such as parallel implementations of BLAST, hmmsearch,
protein folding, etc. I want my Biologist colleagues to know the amazing
capabilities and benefits they will recieve from using a cluster.

Also, thanks a lot for your email Chris. What sort of experiments were
your pharma company able to implement with the aid of your blast farm? And
what are these urls you promised? ;-)

I personally use our cluster to fold lots of RNA sequences (using Vienna)
with an embarassingly parallel implementation. I love the fact that my
simulations that would normally take months to complete are finished in
just a few days.

Cheers,
Paul.